Studious searching in Spring-ish

On a lovely Spring-ish morning like this it’s easy to forget how cold it was just a week ago. Of course this is February so it could all turn around tomorrow, but in the meantime, I’ll enjoy the sunshine. Mind you, it was a bit chilly this morning but if it’s like yesterday; it’ll warm up to the dizzy heights of, perhaps, 15°C. Anyway, this morning, the mist lingers around the trees on one of my favourite views on one of Siena’s walks. And Siena bounds around in her usual skittish way. Her horse friend was a bit skittish this morning too, it looked like they wanted to play but horses are big, and dogs are not usually their friends so Siena was on-lead.

We’ve been rather focussed on the bathroom revamp these past few weeks. I have had a bit of work to interrupt the DIY, I had a sudden slow down on all my sites (resolved by some studious searching for speed-up techniques) and also a request to recover some 800 videos and photos from a corrupt SD card (resolved by some studious searching for recovery software that actually worked). I had been thinking I might need to move some of the problem sites to my new VPS but since I pay per gigabyte, I will keep that reserved for those who actually pay me the premium for the service. So far that’s just me, but I have to have somewhere to go for anyone who is dissatisfied with the best that shared hosting can offer (if you have no idea what I am talking about then… move on, nothing of interest here…).

As I type, Delia is busy gluing down the tiles I have just cut with the aid of a borrowed electric tile cutter (soooo much easier than scoring and snapping).  After weeks of studious searching for suitable light fittings we installed Delia’s chosen two, only to find that they cast peculiar urine yellow patches on our white ceramic fitting and give us apparent jaundice patches. The LEDs are integral so we can’t just change the bulbs, so it’s back to the shop and back to the drawing board (or Pinterest board in Delia’s case).  With luck Delia should be able to present the photos of the finished bathroom in her blog next week. The bath is already back in operation, I was “trying it out” for the first time since before Xmas when the phone rang… a friend with a “serious” email problem (like many, solved by the time I rang back) hey ho, that’s life in computer support. Delia however will probably not get out of the bath until Easter.

 

Storm, Soot and Sunshine

It was certainly blowing a storm last night. I dreamt I was on a train platform, and when I awoke it sounded like I still was. I still took Siena for her walk, driving rain and chilly winds aren’t enjoyable for either of us.  It was a short walk, even she was looking at me as if to say “wtf?”.

Working in the bathroom with our current ongoing project I didn’t see the weather change to blue skies and fluffy white clouds scudding across the sky but with much less wind at ground level. Unfortunately, by the time Siena and I got out for our afternoon walk we still managed to get rained on, but at least a longer walk for her. It was late for her afternoon walk, but seeing her sitting patiently under her lead hanging in the hall at 3.30 is hard to resist.

During the week Delia was complaining of a smell of gas, “no, It’s outside” I said – but to humour her I rang around a few people claiming to service gas boilers. Ironically the first person to actually answer their phone was the same plumber who had sorted our outside plumbing leak. He couldn’t service the boiler for two or three weeks. I told him my wife claimed to smell gas and that I didn’t but could he come and check, he agreed to come the next day. However only an hour after that, the boiler stopped working completely. Ted, our English neighbour had repaired this boiler for the previous owner so we asked his advice. After cleaning and blowing out the jets it worked for a while but with a yellow flame and even I could smell the gas this time!

Anyway, the next afternoon, along came the plumber. He thought he was only coming to check for a leak but quickly found the problem was mostly accumulated soot. He took out some baffles and stuff to clean outside and a lot of vacuuming but before he had finished cleaning entirely I sent him home planning to finish off the remaining clean-up.  What I hadn’t been expecting was how difficult soot was to deal with. One wipe and it’s twenty times worse, and because he hadn’t expected to be cleaning up soot the plumber hadn’t contained the soot very well and it was over everything. Just wiping a finger tip over a surface yielded a black finger. We’re over the worst now, but when the plumber returns we’ll make sure better precautions are taken.

And since just text would be a bit dull, here’s a couple more pictures from my recent dawn photo shoot.